Monday, 7 March 2011

Couch surfers in Perth have a sense of humor...i think?

So, some Canadian guy posts a question in the Perth Groups

Hey I'm looking for a job but don't have a working visa due to my old age!!!

Let me know if you have heard of good ones...Any ideas?

Check out the answers...

Geoff says:
 Prostitution pays pretty well I'm told.
A guy I used to work with did male escort training at Langtrees in Perth.
It could be a good opportunity to earn some quick cash while you're here.
Hope this helps.

The fish 101 says:
Actually Geoff, I believe that Langtrees would be heavily monitored by the authorities. So might not be the best place to work illegally.
Of course there are more discreet places of negotiable affection that might not attract as much attention from the authorities. The West Australian listed a few of these in their Inside cover last week.
Barring that, there is also the "personal" ads.
There is also the possibility of being a drug mule. Sure the police have caught lots of people smuggling drugs in and out of Indonesia. But that just means that there are so many more openings in the "industry".

Catherine G says:
haha.. Are u guys serious?
I think it is safer to be masseur
Trevor says:
I suggest going to a couchsurfing party and aquiring second hand sleeping bags. I hear its pretty big business these days.
 The Fish 101 says:
Nah, there is no market for the second hand sleeping bags.
You would make more money recycling all the cans and glass bottles after a CS party.

Or maybe renting out sleeping bags to those sleep deprived.

Geoff says:
Hmmm, geee, I don't know about these "discreet" places. I'm no journalism major, but if the West Australian published them on their "Inside Cover", these places probably wouldn't be that discreet anymore.
When I was in London a few months ago, I was approached by a prostitute as I left a club on one of the back streets of Soho. Mainly interested in checking the rate of exchange, I assure you, I asked: "How much?"
"It'll cost ya twenty quid" replied the tart.
"American Express?" I inquired.
She gave me an appraising look and said: "You can go as fast as you like"
Remember; Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Mila says:
You may be able to try and work at one of the markets. I use to have a mate who worked at the wanneroo markets, was pretty dodgy as she got stiffed on her pay. But it's cash in hand, and pretty sure the people who work there dont care whether or not you have a visa.

Or you could try male prostitution or become a stripper. I'm sure strippers at Collars and Cuff are in demand.

Very impressive Perth, great advice to the struggling traveller.

And the conversation went on......

Perthamy says:
Obviously when they beat your pants off, you lost your memory as well as your dignity.

Thefish says:
I am proud to say Amy, I managed to retain both my pants and my dignity that night.
My memory though... well that is another matter. And may be more due to that German beer that might have been consumed that evening.
Stefano (the guy that posed the original question said)
eheh quite funny posts to read!Tobie i would recommend to try cash in hand jobs such as waiter or kitchen hand.. you might find some farm who can pay you cash and don't worry about forms.
Obviously if you dont wanna try your luck in gigolo career at langtrees
Catherine G says:
Tobie, try doing home tution, if u don't want to be gigolo or stripper.
Although the drag queen idea is not bad at all :p

Thefish says:

Catherine, you say that home tuition can't be done by a gigilo or a stripper.
There might be a market for home tuition for men to learn how to strip for their wives/partners/significant (or insignificant) others.
Catherine G says:
Good idea Daniel! Are you going in that direction after you become unemployed? :P Do you need an agent? haha..
Steve says:
Just saw Ara's suggestion regarding tutoring...so that would be two reasonable comments...

Catherine says:
Arriving in a foreign country and then publicly flaunting that you're going to break the law and work (AND THEN asking for help!!) = unreasonable comments. Simple as that.

Steve says:
If someone is on holiday and they're looking for work it's likely because they need money to continue to travel. They probably need lectures less than they need assistance.

Couch surfing is an international community of people associating with and sometimes helping one another. We should be true to that spirit and, rather than engage in ridicule, do as two good couch surfers have done here namely be actually helpful!

Simple as THAT!!

SPYRO says:
Being helpful is one thing, helping illegal activities openly in a public forum is something else altogether.

Bruno says:
When did we reach the point when working or looking for a job has become something illegal and a person looking for a job is treated as a criminal?

I mean he's not stealing anything, he's not causing any harm to anyone whatsoever, not directly nor indirectly.

We should stand on the people's side, and stop supporting the interests of governments and corporations.

At least on such a basic thing as the right to work.

Steve says (i'm beginning to like Steve)

It wasn't against the law in this part of the world to hunt indigenous Australians as recently as 50 years ago. Some laws are stupid and some things which aren't against the law should be.
It's not like the cash-in-hand jobs our Couch Surfer brothers and sisters take are keeping Australians out of work. The vast majority of those are jobs Aussies don't want.
But let's look at it from the point of officious people who appoint themselves the arbiter of what is right regarding employment, or water consumption, or where to park one's van over night. You feel a need to do that, fine. But it doesn't have to be done in as ham-handed a manner as I see too frequently in this group's posts.
Consider how Tobie got the message above. Now consider the following wording:
"Couch surfers will find Perth to be a wonderful, friendly place. May we suggest, however, that a public forum is not the best place to request this sort of post. In any case, here's looking forward to seeing you, Tobie, at the next meet-up which, by the way, is at the Brass Monkey on Wednesday, March 16."
Maybe if we had expressed ourselves in a kinder fashion one of the 28 responses to Tobie's post would have been a 'thank you' for our helpfulness!

Also, I've been told I got it wrong about when it became illegal to hunt aboriginals. My bad.
SPYRO says
I was just saying the place he posted it was the wrong place. Had he brought it up in person in parties I think that would have been fine. My thoughts are that in a public forum where anyone can read these posts including the people who enforce these ridiculous rules. I think we should be allowed to work and live wherever we want and anyone should be allowed to go anywhere. That is what I live by, but flaunting the conventions of society is silly.
People have lost endorsements for things like posting pictures of themselves smoking a bong, (read Michael Phelps). Some been kicked out of universities for pictures on their Facebook pages of them drinking alcohol while underage (read American age rules). I am not saying I agree with the rules, just don't make it so easy to be caught for Christ's sake. Deportation is something nobody should go through.
Tobie says:
What a debate I created! I honestly did not expect any true answers and wanted to see what people's reactions would be and I think it realy worked!!! I will see you all on wednesday though and we can continue this debate live. It's realy interesting to have people's opinion on the subject. I agree that sometimes laws are ridiculous and that this forum would definetly be the wrong place to post such a request... I hope I didn't offend you all too much and haven't ruined my CS reputation along the way.
Cheers all!
Steve Pattenden says:
Steve, are you being serious? Working illegally to hunting people, bit of a difference. It doesnt matter if you think a law is stupid, it is still the law, if you break it, you should be punished. If you are coming to Perth to travel, save your pennies and then come and travel. If you want to work to support your travels, get a WHV, "simple as that"
 Bruno says:

We cannot accept any law they decide to impose us just because "it's still the law", we are not obedient sheep anymore.
and this is Australia, it's not Nazi Germany, we can't keep quiet and follow blindly the dictator in turn or whoever decides to call themselves leader on whatever they decides to do with our lives, with our liberty and with our planet.
we have to stop the auto-pilot for a minute and think rationally, critically and objectively about the laws we come across every day.
and a law that doesn't allow people to work on the basis of racism and classicism its clearly not bringing us together as human beings and just putting more barriers between us and it's not doing much for the freedom we've been fighting for during the last 100 years.

Perthany says:

Oh Bruno come on! You'tre a lovely guy but comparing Nazi Germany to a country for instigating work permits is utterly ridiculous. You need to "stop and think rationally, critically and objectively" about your own post.
Whether you believe in them or not, you DO NOT come to someone else's country and break the laws.
"a law that doesn't allow people to work on the basis of racism and classicism"
Actually the classifaction for skilled work visas is English language, qualifications, nominated occupation, work experience, skills, health, character.
The classification for WHV is that their country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia which is based on economic agreements between governments. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Pretty fair I think.
There are no dictators here mate... yes some pretty pedantic laws, and way too many traffic lights, but I'll take them over anarchy or open borders any day.
I can't imagone anything worse than having this argument with people that think it's ok to travel around doing whatever they want. Count me OUT on Wednesday. I'll be the one conversing with respectful and interesting surfers who have either saved up for their trip or aren't flaunting their under-the-table activities to upset anyone. It's not the 'working' that's the problem here - it's the attitude towards my country's laws.

Bruno says:
Hey Amy :)
I seriously didn't mean to offend you, so please don't take it personal.
This is my country also, even though i dont have a paper that says i'm australian, i live and work here, i pay taxes, contribute daily to the society and the economy and my life is not very different to any other australian.
So as an Australian and i want to make this place a better place in the same sense that I'm not gonna waste water, I'm not gonna get a car, I'm not gonna litter; I'm going to advocate for human rights same as I will do it anywhere else.
You just cannot refuse a person the right to work, because he has been born in the wrong country or is one year too old.
Whether they are australians, canadians or north koreans, they are still human beings and they should have the right to work honestly without being chased down or prosecuted for it. Compassion, peaceful actions and civil disobedience(such as work "illegally") are the tools we have now to make this world a fairer place for everyone. And i think it's clear that this doesn't mean that the country will turn into an anarchy because people work honestly.
We can't choose where we are born, and if there were no borders we will all be equal and wont be having this discussion right now.
When a country opens their doors as Australia is doing it now, they also open their minds to new ideas and to change.
I wouldn't post this on a wall street forum, but couchsurfers usually have a great sense of community and equality.
There is a clear left-wing vs right-wing debate here, but someone having a different opinion than yours doesn't mean they are not respectful or not interesting, it should be the other way around, by listening to different points of view and different arguments we learn and that's how we grow.
The world would be very dull if we all agreed we each other always and no one had a different opinion than yours.
So I'm going to have to ask you to come to the meeting on wednesday and give me a hug~ would that be ok?

Stefan says:
I would love to see how you feel bruno when we open our doors and our borders and we drop in another 300,000 people into perth who:
1: have nowhere to live because we are in a housing shortage.
2: can't afford to eat because food is so expensive, and lets not forget we are already in a water shortage before we have all the extras to feed.
3: are unskilled or have low skill levels because lets face it their life in their home country wasn't so great so they are happy to take any chance to get out.
4: when your son or daughter or younger brother or sister is struggling to find a job because we have 200,000 extra people competing for them.
Well then we can call ourselves England as that is exactly the same sort of problems they have and exactly the reason they have closed their borders to immigration from newer countries which have joined the EU. We only have so many resources to go around.
So if it's limiting those who want to work to those who can be productive and meet a criterea whereby they can do something useful then i for one am all for it. Let them work honestly within the legal framework which australia......along with just about every country in the world provide.I am unable to get a working visa for europe for the same reason as i am too old but i can live with that too.

Castadrift says:

Wow its been really fascinating reading this thread. Adding my 2 cents - actually I'm kinda surprised that people from Australia, and on Couchsurfers at that, have voiced such conservative views. Not that I think you're wrong, but just that I've had this impression that the whole concept of CS encouraged a more liberal stance (though thinking about it I suppose there's no reason it should). I've been living in Singapore for the past 5 months (paying Australian taxes on an expat salary) and can't wait to move back to Perth soon to a place where people have the right to publicly share their opinions and ideas without fear of prosecution. I just feel so lucky to call Australia home, where we are born into privilege, have a right to education, and can freely engage in political debate.
Feel disheartened though that one guys request for help (whether it was wise or not to do it publicly, and it is his personal decision & responsibility whether or not to break the law) has turned into a political debate which has obviously caused people so much personal offence!
In any case, I think you would be hard pressed to find an Australian who hadn't at some point in their lives worked a cash in hand job (tutoring, waitering, etc) esp in high school or uni. This to me is just as illegal as a backpacker coming to Aus to do the same thing. Whether I agree with this kind of action is not my point at all.
@Amy - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will not let this stop you from meeting people who, though might have a difference of opinion, sound like nice and respectful folks, to rationally debate your point of view. It would be such a pity to have a rift in the CS community caused by petty politics :(
Whatever happens I'm looking forward to moving back to Aus and meeting everyone! I've only become active on CS recently and am really excited to be part of such an open-minded and tolerant network of people.

Allen says:

Hi castadrift
.Yea this post has become a real debate of right and wrong and there is some nastiness in there . Although it is illegal etc Tobie did not know that it would create such a heated debate .We all know that there are many people in this country working illegally and just lucky they have not YET been caught.
Tobie just happens to be a tad over the age limit for a work visa... pity . He is a great actor and I mean in the positive sense . He is staying at my place and is a nice guy ....smokes to much thou ....He has visited WAAPA to register his interest in gaining a sponsor to enable him to work here in Perth .
Yes we here in Australia are very blessed to live in a place with such freedom and opportunities for a better life .I do believe people should enter the counrty thru the right channels thou . Tobie did that but was just seeking advice or help on been able to work here .Nothing sinsister .
Thanks for your positve and interesting post .
Cheers
Allan

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...